Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Lucky!

To have had cancer and survived gives you both a sense of vulnerability and a sense of being indestructable! I don't think you can get much closer to the edge without falling off and I am left with a feeling of "that didn't get me!" There have been other times in my life that my number should have been called but wasn't and this all makes me realize how incredibly lucky I am.
I once stumbled and fell into an electrical panel putting my arm out to protect my fall. This was an open 220 volts on a 200 amp line and that really should have done it, at least it should have taken my arm off to my shoulder. It did throw me 20 feet across the room but otherwise left me unscathed! About ten years ago I was helping a friend put a roof on a Church steeple and my footing slipped and down I went, about a 20 foot fall onto the concrete sidewalk! I looked like a side of beef beaten with a baseball bat, but thirty minutes later went to lunch! I never should have walked away from that one! There were others and probably some I am not aware of,
two seconds earlier or later can make all the difference. These were all "instant" close encounters and cancer gives you plenty of time to think about it, knowing every day you are approaching that edge! It really makes you think that you have been extremely lucky and maybe I shouldn't be pressing my luck?

5 comments:

  1. It must indeed be a wonderful feeling that you are now cancer free. My heart is full of joy at the good news. So I supose we have to put up with you for a bit longer eh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jerry, we love putting up with you ... so happy about your good news. It makes me feel like dancing !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wonderful strong father...its so good to hear that you are getting stronger every day and sounding so positive. I don't know if I would have your strength going through the same thing. Please don't press your luck:-) I need to have you around for a long time to come. Reading back through past blogs has been interesting. I am learning more about my dad every day....and it seems like your diagnosis was a bit worse then you let on. Not surprising. I love you and am proud to be your daughter. XO Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. JENNIFER, my #1 big daughter!!!How did you ever find this blog? It is my secret soul-bearing blog. Well, now you know, I am a proud Dad, love life and love my daughters!!! Now I will have to watch what I say! love you, dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete