Tuesday, May 31, 2011

When the World Gets Cancer

For those of you who do not believe in global warming I am not sure how much worse things need to get.
The "Snows of Kilimanjaro" are gone, melted into warming streams, the life blood of Lake Victoria and the water supply for much of Africa.  Three degrees makes a lot of difference.  There are dead Spruce Forests
in Alaska that stretch as far as the eye can see, killed by a beetle allowed to live because of the added warmth of a couple degrees.
   Joplin, Missouri, we all know where that is now, flattened by a tornado in a couple of minutes.  Worst tornadoes ever, the earth breathes hard.  Some of this destruction we have brought upon ourselves, like smokers who refuse to quit, knowing that is a source of their own illness.  We weigh the risks and continue dumping oil in the oceans, a little spillage in our endless greed.  We don't even know what dies or the suffering of sea creatures.
   The oceans continue to get warmer creating tsunamis, gasping, an attempt at self cleansing.
   Something is happening and we are not listening to the screams.  There is a "bad moon raising," and we enjoy our lattes, comfortable in ignorance.
   It is raining on my garden.  Yesterday we had a quarter inch of hail.  I thought last year was "the worst year ever" and this year will be worse yet.  My tomatoes are beaten promises and the corn will not bud.
The Mississippi roars and can't be contained, dumping millions of gallons into the Gulf of Mexico in a feeble attempt to dilute the oil we put there.
    I don't know what is happening but it is happening all over.  Strange weather.  Colder, warmer, wetter, dryer, some kind of struggle, some kind of stirring inside. The Earth crying, like there is meaning to an Earthquake.
   I sometimes wonder if we are just visiting and what will happen when it is discovered that we trashed the place?  Why was it necessary to add graffiti, dump our garbage, make a vile mark upon this paradise?
   We have created an island the size of Texas between Oregon and Hawaii all made of plastic. It will be there for a thousand years, our statement.
   How is your garden growing?
You can find me here too!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you really know how to take the fun out of our destruction. lol.

    What's happening to our planet reminds me of a line in the movie "The Matrix". In one of the scenes the man that represents the matrix compares humans to a virus. What he says in that line is actually quite true, thankfully though we have much more to us than our destructive nature. Hopefully in our near future we will come together to fix what we have created before it's to late.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep this year I am having to water the ground day by day last year once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it kind of freaks me out. It's supposed to be sweltering hot in Xi'an now, but it's breezy and actually NICE. I'd make a generous estimate that the world is going to self-destruct in 2200.

    Regarding your comment on my post...HILARIOUS. I only moved to China when I was 12, so I guess you can say that I'm not one of those Communist minions memorizing the little red book. ;D

    ReplyDelete